AmigaActive (1006/2143)

From:Gerald Mellor
Date:13 May 2000 at 03:17:27
Subject:Re: GNUTella

On 12-May-00, Alan Buxey wrote:

>> I didn't repeatedly ask the same question, I replied to someone who
>> had asked the same question as me.
>
> aye - but this gnutellas stuff has appeared about 5 times in the
> past week

No it's not. There have been 2 emails asking about it, that's all.

>> Gnutella doesn't *just* do what Napster does, Napster is only a
>> file sharing system for distributing mp3s, Gnutella has a much
>> wider range of files.
>
> ..but would be mainly used for the same purpose. until its developed
> so that searching for the other types of files becomes very
> intuitive and facilitated, then it has no other hope than to become
> a 'legal' MP3 server

Have you actually used Gnutella? It has a *huge* amount of files
available, thousands of Gigabytes, I have no doubt there are a lot of
mp3s on there, but I have only used it for downloading other types of
file - music videos, etc. Your point was that it serves the same
purpose as Napster, so we don't need both, but that's wrong, it serves
a similar purpose that is also just as useful.

> I say legal because its designed to share files...not mp3
> specifically, whereas Napster was designed solely for MP3
> distribution.

But not all mp3s are illegal.

> by intuitive, the search tool has to become advanced, so i can
> choose "Picture file, classic", or "sound sample, humourous" and
> then get some tree structure out of the result

Well okay, you can't do that yet, but that would be kind of difficult
to do, as jpegs and wavs don't store that kind of information about
themselves. As it is I find it easy enough to find what I'm after.

Gerry

Install today: